You may wonder why you need a REALTOR when buying a home from the Builder (after all that Sales Agent at the Model Home was really nice), but Kandis & I come across multiple issues during the home building process. We stay on top of things that our Buying Clients could never have guessed would ever come up. Needless to say they’re glad they have us representing them…and at no cost!
Construction delays, outrageously overpriced lot premiums, removal of features, incorrect installation, upgraded items chosen that are no longer available are all situations that have come up and we’ve rectified with the Builder. In a few of these instances we had to renegotiate the sales price to help offset these issues. That’s right, new home prices are in fact negotiable!
Here are a few other things to keep in mind if considering buying a brand new home from a Builder:
- Your Realtor has access to all of the New Home Communities that are either selling or that will be selling. It’s a New Home MLS similar to the resale housing MLS.
- If you happen to drive by a New Home Community and decide to stop in, contact your Realtor before doing so. They’ll need to register you with the builder in order to act on your behalf. Remember, the Sales Agent at the home site represents the Builder/Seller.
- Your Realtor will run the Active and Sold Comparable homes in the neighborhood to help give you a better sense of pricing for this new home product versus the surrounding resale homes.
- There’s a lot of “behind the scenes” situations that come up throughout the building process. Is construction running on time? Does your Lender have everything they need? Did you pick out flooring within the allowed budget? Have you scheduled a day and time to sign your closing documents? Kandis & I help orchestrate and stay on top of these items during the 3-5 month construction period.
- You don’t pay us. That’s right, the Builder does. Our help representing you, all of our behind the scenes work, all of our due diligence is paid by the Builder! We don’t charge you a penny!
If you haven’t already, be sure to checkout our video web series about moving into the new Lennar Aventine Community here.
Remember that whether you’re buying a New Home Build or a Resale Home, you need REALTORS that you can count on. We’re here for our clients and have their best interest in mind. The home buying process should be a happy and exciting time. We work to keep your frustration level at a minimum!